Slow Magic and I go on a lot of road trips…so many that I feel like l like I am becoming somewhat of an expert when preparing for one. That being said, I wanted to share my Road Trip Checklist with you so you can use it on your next road trip.
Road Trip Checklist
1. Be prepared : make sure you have, at the very least, a first aid kit and a flashlight. If you are driving through mountains, make sure you bring a cold weather kit with blankets, hot hands, and food and water.
2. Bring a cooler with snacks. I like to make and bring lots of healthy snacks so we do not have to stop along the way. Also bring bottles of water and coffee for if you are getting tired.
Favorite road trip snacks : tofu spring rolls, Japanese sweet potatoes, and little containers of grapes, dried mango.
Tips for packing your cooler :
Only put cold food in the cooler, bring another bag with dried goods.
When you pack your cooler, separate items logically into different bags so you know where everything is and you can easily grab what you are looking for.
Bring utensils and napkins.
3. Have a Clean Car Kit : bring a roll of paper towels, wet wipes, trash bags, hand sanitizer, and paintbrushes (the are like little brooms for the car).
4. Entertainment : download music and podcasts in advance so it isn’t silent in the no service zones. Also, be sure to bring an aux cable.
A few podcasts we like : Reply All, Stuff You Should Know, The Poundcast, and Mortified.
5. Keep the backseat organized so you can grab things easily.
6. Bring a cable to charge your phone.
Other tips :
When the sun goes down, pull over and walk around so you do not get sleepy.
If you do get sleepy, pull over and get a hotel room. For yourself and others, please be safe 🙂
If there are only scary restrooms at gas stations, you can also use the bathrooms at hotels, grocery stores, fast food restaurants and places like Target or Walmart.
Get out of the car every couple of hours to walk around, drink lots of water, and bring charcoal pills so you won’t feel bloated at the end of a long drive.
See more pics from our road trips : here.